In 2003 the City of Norfolk officially designated the Stockley Gardens Dog Park, located on the 0.61-acre 1300 block of Stockley Gardens between Maury and Baldwin Avenues, as an off-leash dog park.
In 2004, a group of concerned neighbors and dog-lovers who enjoyed the park saw opportunities to address safety issues and enhance the beauty of this green space. The Ghent Dog Park Association formed as a grassroots community organization in April 2004 to develop the project and work through the appropriate channels, including the neighborhood, the Ghent Neighborhood League, and the City of Norfolk.
Founding members of the GDPA came up with the beautiful design of the fence and started fundraising. They succeeded in building the fence after a few years of collecting over $30,000 in donations through various events, sponsorships, and membership dues. The slideshow below contains photographs of the plaques that donors received for some of the contributions made towards the original improvements.